WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS DURING THE FAIR TRADE FORTNIGHT?
The Fair Trade Fortnight is used to be held annually in May since 2001, to raise consumer awareness regarding sustainability and fair trade.
Fair trade is an alternative way of dealing with small-scale producers in the South: fair compensation, pre-financing of orders, long-term partnerships, women's empowerment, respect for the environment, legal work conditions (see Our values) ... All these conditions must be met in order to allow small artisans to improve their living conditions in a sustainable way.
This 17th edition is held this year from May 13th to May 28th throughout France, where animations organized by members of the Mouvement Equitable platform, will take place almost everywhere, in Paris and in the countryside.
The aim of these events is to present the issues and impacts of fair trade through meetings with small-scale producers, brunch and bio-fair competitions or thematic conferences.
Below is a non-exhaustive list of the events organized for this occasion:
- May 16th from 6pm: Projection / debate evening and buffet around the NGO of the villagers of N'Dem in Senegal on the theme: Visit to Senegal - Living and working in the country. Address: 254 avenue Jean Lorrain in Fécamp.
- May 19th from 7pm to 10pm: a great aperitif on the banks of Vienne in Limoges, with a menu of organic, local and fair-trade products. Reservation: email@example.com.
- From May 20th to May 21st: Equitable Max Havelaar Village in Paris, La Villette. On the menu, for young and old: games, tastings, workshops, meetings with producers. Info and registration: https://www.facebook.com/events/207804699709408/
- May 22nd from 11:30 am to 2:00 pm: Screening of the documentary "The Hidden Face of Chocolate" at the Jean Jaurès University of Toulouse. You will also have the chance to taste a brunch composed of fair trade products. Free admission.
- May 22nd, from 5 pm to 7 pm: If you are in Annecy, meet Oumer Gemeda, coffee producer from Ethiopia and ask him all your questions. Address: 1 Cote Perrière - Annecy. Free admission
- May 23rd from 6 pm to 8 pm: the Maison des Solidarités Locales et Internationales of Lyon organizes a conference / debate on the theme of fair trade and sustainable development. The opportunity to get all the answers to your questions about responsible consumption: how is it organized? How to contribute? What guarantees for the consumer and the producer? etc. Address: 215 rue Vendôme - Lyon - free admission.